Your cart ()
Hazel has been climbing for 20 years although she is only 26. She started trad climbing on the cliffs in Prembrokshire. She took part in some climbing competitions and became British junior champion for six times. At the age of 16 she abandoned the competition world to focus on trad climbing, her greatest passion.
For the pastfour years she is a dedicated, full-time professional in the climbing world, a commitment that allows her to travel the world and discover new climbing locations. Hazel is the first British woman to climb a E9 and to free El Capitan in Yosemite. In sport climbing she has reached 8c climbing many 8a on sight. She enjoys all type sof climbing but especially climbs that require a certain amount of psychological effort.
Since 2018, she has been active in different styles in a high level with sport routes (Tainted Love Ascent 8c -5.13d, Squamish), multipitches (Salathe Free 7c+ - 5.13, El Capitain) and Trad lines (Concepcion, 7c+ - 5.13 trad, Moab area).
1) Who is your favorite climbing partner and why?
Madeleine Cope is my favourite climing partner because she’s supportive but can also have a laugh. She is also close to my height so we can share beta.
2) Which is the first La Sportiva shoes/boot you used?
3) What is your favorite climbing/mountaineering book?
Lynn Hill’s ‘Climbing Free’
4) What is the mountain you would like to see at least one time in your life?
Mount Asgard, Baffin
5) Do you take part to a charity or cultural project?
Urban Uprising a UK-based charity who take teaches kids climbing who wouldn’t otherwise be able to access the sport.
6) What's in the air?
More free routes on El Cap, a 5.14 trad route and a 8c+ sport route.
- 1995 Start Climbing
- 2015 Turns to Outdoor climbing after winning 6 British Junior Bouldering Championship
- 2011 FFA Golden Gate, 7c+, El Cap, Yosemite
- 2011 Once Upon a Time in the Southwest, E9 (first women to climb e9)
- 2014 Fish Eye, 8c redpoint
- 2019 Tainted Love, FA, Squamish, 8c